Sunday, June 30, 2013

Late to the Party with The Men

        Even prior to the recent SCOTUS landmark announcement on equal rights, I was a little behind the times when it came to finding The Men. A Brooklyn band that put out it's fourth album, New Moon on March 5th, The Men have put out one of my favorite recordings of the year. Prior to listening to it, one way or another, I obtained a copy of their previous album Open Your Heart, and though I liked plenty of it,  the song "Candy" worked it's way into my brain like a burrowing insect. A Replacements-esque acoustic ballad fixated me and got me excited enough to purchase New Moon, sight unseen. What I came to find after my first listen was that this was an excellent decision.


        Having not been a fan since their incarnation, I was confused to see that some fans didn't like this eclectic collection of excellent tunes. Hearing earlier albums, it seems they have made a semi-sonic ("somewhat-different-sounding", not "Closing Time") shift away from the brash assault of punk they played throughout the first three albums. While I could see this disappointing fans that were looking for more of the same, as a fresh entrant onto their bandwagon, I was immediately hooked by the raw, melodic punk/rock/pop songs this album is fully stocked with. This balancing act seems to have been performed due to their production. It's far from a polished shine, which fits in perfectly with their earlier sound. The album is dripping with melody, hooks, and a slowed down pace; words that can be, at times, taboo to the average punk fan.
        Listening to this album felt like flipping through the radio dial and hearing updated, modern versions of many a classic rock sound. Feel like thrashing about listening to some of the aforementioned proto-punk after a stubbing your toe? Try "Electric" or "The Brass" (just ignore that medlinglingly beautiful piano raucous punk fans). Perhaps that's a little too brash for you.  Feeling in the mood for being washed in some harmonia-meets-piano-meets-acoustic strum-meets electric jaunts instead? Well then, sit back and throw on "Half Angel Half Light", "Without a Face" or "Bird Song"and mouth harp your way to contentment. Need a little guitar trudge with what could only be the Horse in tow? Throw on "I Saw Her Face" and melt into the corduroy comfort of Uncle Neil. Maybe you're the type that isn't a fan of vocals at all? Well good choice then, because two opposite ends of the spectrum instrumentals are here for you. Mellow and chill after a sudsy bath? "High and Lonesome". Tripping on acid and looking to crash over the edge? "Supermoon" yourself. Your radio knob might be getting a workout, but you've undeniably been enjoying the trip.

True to their name, nary a female in sight. 

          While some claimed that this lack of focus was a sign that they couldn't seem to grasp a musical direction, I never understood why it was a bad thing if the songs on an album all didn't sound the same. That's not to say I haven't had bands who veered away from their "typical" sound only to let me down (.....KoL), but I don't think that's the case here.  Instead, I would argue New Moon is a stellar album and an excellent precursor of things to come, as they show their talents performing in a myriad of styles. Plus, with their frenetic recording pace (by modern standards at least), I shouldn't have to wait all that long to find out what comes next.

Final Score: .83 You're Living All Over Me's

No comments:

Post a Comment